Thursday, June 16, 2005

God's Sense of Humor

When I was 5 or 6 years old back in the early 70s, I lived on a pig farm in eastern Montana (we are talking 'nowhere, in the middle of nowhere' - literally!). My dad worked as a hired hand for some folks named Irv and Marilyn Haidle. Now, these are some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet, but as a kid, I just remember thinking how strange it all seemed:

"'Irv'? What kind of name is 'Irv'? And 'Marilyn'? Who would ever marry someone named 'Marilyn'?"

I spoke these fateful words in the middle of a sunny farmyard, and then promptly forgot all about this incident until years later, when I was in college, relating my childhood experiences to my then fiancee... Marilyn Klaassen.

And that's when it hit me: I was going to marry someone named Marilyn! Wow. God must really have a sense of humor.

And here we are today, on our 15th wedding anniversary, more happily married now than we've ever been before. I still think God has a sense of humor, but time has taught me that he is also good and trustworthy - he blesses us in ways we do not deserve, often in ways we do not expect. He has given me a wonderful wife who is better than I ever could have hoped for, and three kids who love us all: me, my wife, and God (and even each other most of the time).

For all these things I am most thankful, but especially for God's sense of humor - that seasoning that makes life beautiful.

2 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, June 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christian and Marilyn:

Thanks for the post...and belated happy anniversary wishes. My praise and thanksgiving to God for the models you provide for our church body,as individuals and as a couple. May the Lord continue to refine you in your walk, and provide His strength, wisdom and grace. Blessings, Sharon

 
At 8:12 AM, June 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another humerous story:

Just now, Korban and Naomi were fighting. After breaking it up and discerning that K. was the problem, I made him apologize, tell N. that he loved her, hug her, and kiss her on the cheek. K. refused to do the last two! This punishment was too much, he said.

It is easy for us say what is proper, but our hearts rebel against doing the good that is required of us. K. would rather have been disciplined than to demonstrate his apology.

It is easy for me to say "I love you God, and I am sorry for my sin" but it is incredibly hard for me to then go and love my neighbor as myself.

***********

We enjoy observing your family. They are a blessing, and your greatest witness to God's grace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home